When most people hear the term testosterone booster they probably think of bodybuilders with huge muscles, or athletes seeking a competitive advantage – but these aren’t the only reasons why men turn to testosterone supplements. Similar to how women experience the mid-life changes of hormone levels associated with menopause, a large percentage of men will also struggle with the negative effects of declining hormone levels, primarily testosterone.
Sometimes referred to as “male menopause”, or “manopause”, this common condition is more widely known as andropause.
A decrease in testosterone production is associated with any number of unpleasant men’s health issues. If you’re a man who thinks he might be experiencing a hormonal deficiency, it’s probably best to have your testosterone levels tested.
Men experiencing a decrease in testosterone levels can suffer from a wide variety of unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- Decreased sex drive and erectile dysfunction
- Low energy and lack of motivation
- Diminished strength and stamina
- Difficulty sleeping
- Mood changes, such as irritability, anger, or depression
- Poor focus, memory, and mental function
- Loss of muscle mass and bone density
- Lowered immunity
Generally speaking, if you’re a man aged 40 or older, boosting testosterone production with the right supplements can deliver dramatic results, correcting those hormonal changes that slowly rob you of energy and vitality.
How Do Testosterone Supplements Work?
Unlike TRT and anabolic steroids, which introduce outside sources of testosterone into the body, testosterone supplements release testosterone that has already been produced by the body but became neutralized due to certain factors. Two of the most common reasons for this “binding” of freely available testosterone are elevated levels of estrogen and/or SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin).
You will find that the majority of the more reputable testosterone supplement makers use of a combination of ingredients that have shown to support healthy testosterone levels. The end result will ideally be a optimally formulated proprietary blend of ingredients designed to naturally increase freely-available amount of testosterone in the body.
Testosterone Supplements Vs. Replacement Therapy
Besides herbal supplements, there’s a medical treatment for addressing low testosterone. You may already be familiar with testosterone replacement thearapy, or TRT .
Not unlike Hormone Replacement Therapy, which is a treatment for menopausal women, testosterone replacement therapy is a method for correcting low-T, which gets administered through a transdermal gel or patch, or with testosterone injections. There are even testosterone pellets available that are implanted under the skin, gradually releasing testosterone over a period of 3-6 months. .
Unfortunately, testosterone replacement can only be prescribed by a licensed health professional. On top of that, they can lead to negative side effects… and could even increase your risk of stroke or heart attack. And there still hasn’t been enough research to determine the long-term effects of testosterone replacement therapy.
For these reasons, I always recommend trying out natural testosterone supplements first, before resorting to TRT treatments. For men who are experiencing a testosterone hormone deficiency due to andropause or other health issues, these natural supplements can drastically improve your quality of life.
A few of the benefits most frequently observed by men using testosterone supplements include:
- Greater muscle mass and bone density
- Improved athletic performance
- Increased strength and stamina
- Elevated mood and motivation
- Renewed libido and sex drive
- Boosted energy levels
- Correction of hormonal balance
These are only a small sample of the improvements men may experience when using a high-quality testosterone supplement.
With all of these potential benefits, it won’t come as a shock to learn that men tend to purchase testosterone boosters more than any other hormone-supporting supplement. Since these products are formulated to support testosterone levels safely and naturally, and are free from side effects, they provide a convenient and effective option for restoring deficient testosterone levels for many men.
Of course, even the best testosterone boosters can’t match the potency of steroid injections. However, they can still provide significant results – in a safe and risk-free way.
For men who are starting to feel the effects of aging sneak up on them, who want to restore their free testosterone to more youthful levels, or simply would like to have a little more zest in their life, using a quality testosterone supplement could potentially be life-changing.
Ingredients Used in Testosterone Supplements
Some of the most commonly found ingredients used in testosterone supplements are well-known for increasing androgen hormones, and have been the subject of research studies for years. The following are a few some of the more effective testosterone booster ingredients, although by no means is this list complete.
- DHEA – Dehydroepiandrosterone, or DHEA, is a steroid hormone naturally produced by the gonads, adrenal glands, and brain, and is among the most largely-produced steroid hormones in the body. DHEA is converted by the body into testosterone and other androgens, and is associated with increased strength and muscle mass, anti-aging effects, enhanced immunity, fat loss, and improved mental function.
- Maca root – Lepidium meyenii, a.k.a. maca root, is praised by men and women alike for helping to improve hormone levels, and boosting energy and sex drive, among other benefits. Sometimes referred to as a super food because of its many health benefits, the maca root is known to be an adaptogenic herb that has even been found by researchers to improve fertility in both men and women.
- Fenugreek – Trigonella foenum-graecum, or fenugreek as it is more commonly known, is an herb that is thought to increase libido and testosterone levels and also improve athletic performance in men. According to research, the majority of those who took fenugreek saw an increase in testosterone, increased strength, loss of body fat, and improved sexual function.
- Tribulus terrestris – Tribulus terrestris is an plant-based enhancement supplement that is believed to raise testosterone and promote increased gains in strength and lean muscle mass. Naturally occurring in India and Burma, among other countries, tribulus terrestris has long been used as an effective way to boost sex drive and enhance sexual performance.
- D-aspartic acid – D-aspartic acid is an amino acid thought to increase testosterone levels, but current research is inconclusive. Even though one study demonstrated an increased amount of testosterone in participants, a different study showed a decrease in T-levels. Even though the test results have been mixed, D-aspartic acid is nevertheless a common ingredient used in many testosterone supplements.
- Tongkat ali – Eurycoma longifolia, also called tongkat ali, is an herb used for hundreds of years in traditional Asian medicine for boosting energy, increasing sex drive, and raising the amount of testosterone in the body. Tongkat ali can also contribute to a decrease in body fat while promoting the gain of lean body mass.
- Ashwagandha – Withania somnifera, or Ashwagandha, is an amazingly powerful adaptogen that has a long history of use for a huge variety of health benefits – including a major capability for increasing testosterone. The latest research shows that participants experienced a near 20% increase in levels of total free testosterone, as well as an increase in strength, stamina, fat loss, and muscle mass.
- ZMA – Short for Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate, ZMA is a natural mineral supplement consisting of zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6. Widely used by bodybuilders and athletes, ZMA has often been used for boosting athletic performance and increasing testosterone levels. It is also known to promote a deeper, more restful sleep and helps with recovery of muscles.
Obviously, this is only a sample of the most popular ingredients that are used in testosterone-boosting supplements, all of which have undergone clinical research. When examining these products, you’ll likely come across other ingredients also, and unique proprietary formulas can be found in a seemingly endless amount of variations.
Every supplement will have its pro’s and con’s, which is why doing a little research beforehand can go a long way in selecting a product that’s best for you.